Friday, April 30, 2010

Let Bret Michaels be your guide --- even the most modern medicine can be clueless

It's times like these that everyone should take a moment to consider exactly how little we know. 

Since 1996 a very close friend of mine has often confided her intense fear of a brain aneurysm. Still in my mid-20s, I couldn't understand how she could have cultivated such a medically random fear.

But 15 years later I'm shocked at how often I've learned of people with unexpected death or disability due to brain bleed. Sometimes explicable, most times not.

The sheer amount of speculation in Bret's case is key. Surprisingly, the words "Aqua Net" have yet to come up. However, I've read multiple stories questioning whether that curtain falling on his face last year caused his brain hemorrhage. That's not where I'd put my dollar, but at this point even his treating physicians would have a hard time placing any bets.

Read a neurology article intended for general public.

In Ron McLarty's novel "The Memory of Running," the narrating character has an exchange with a physician in intensive care after his father's car accident has caused a head trauma. The father, who was in excellent shape, was severly compromised and quickly succumbed due to the leakage of this life-sustaining substance into his head.

"Blood is one of the most toxic entities known. When it gets out of the old veins, well ..."

"I didn't realize that," responds Smithson Ide.

Did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment